Re: task server

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: task server
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:52:24 +0200 (CEST)

   Should it happen regardless of the unlikeliness, I guess the
   license of the taskserver is a tiny problem in comparison to the
   big projects like Linux or Qt (I think Linus wouldn't care too
   much, but Trolltech could close their business).

Linux wouldn't be affected, it is only released under the GPL 2, the
"any later" clause has been removed.  And if anyone finds a flaw in
the GPL 2 that makes it ok to make a non-free version of Linux, then
Linux will have far more interesting problems updating the license to
a new one.  This is why the "any later" clause is nice.

And to quote my self from a off-list email:

,----
| I would think that the BSD license would be invalid for _all_ future
| versions of the GPL, not just the next one.  Considering that the GPL
| was made to keep people from creating non-free versions of software
| that is licensed under the GPL; where as the BSD license was not.
|
| But then, I'm also not a lawyer, nor will I be the judge that will
| decide if it was "similar in spirit".
`----

But this is getting off-topic...