Re: Error in makefile.am

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Error in makefile.am
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:53:08 +0100

At Wed, 02 Feb 2005 00:31:56 +0100,
Vittore Scolari <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think there is a typo in libc/Makefile.am
>
> line 52:
> glibc_version = 2004-01-23
>
> should be
> glibc_version = 2005-01-23
>
> otherwise patches doesn't apply.

Ouch.  You win the price for finding one of the more embarrassing bugs :)

Fixed in CVS.  You may still have problems, because I am not sure I
have created all patches correctly, and I didn't test it myself from
scratch for some time now.  But at least it is supposed to work with
that date, so if it doesn't, the patches are at fault.

That said, I would be happy if somebody here would from time to time
check if the patches apply (and the result works!) to newer versions,
so we can keep in sync with glibc development.  This could be done on
a weekly basis for example.  This would be a job for someone who wants
to contribute but doesn't have much time or just looks for an easy
task (but please note that you are encouraged to have some knowledge
about glibc internals so you can at least try to fix problems that pop
on yourself and send in corrections for patches that fail to apply).

Otherwise, I think I will aim for update steps of 1 or 2 months, which
should be enough.  We may need to make them shorter the further we
come.

Thanks,
Marcus