Re: qemu booting of hurd/l4 how-to

From: Alexandre Buisse
Subject: Re: qemu booting of hurd/l4 how-to
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 01:59:09 +0100

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:18:14 +0100, Marcus Brinkmann
<address@hidden> wrote:
> At Fri, 4 Feb 2005 22:49:47 +0100,
> Zakath Zakath <address@hidden> wrote:
> > http://perso.ens-lyon.fr/alexandre.buisse/hurd/qemu-howto
>
> Thanks a lot for that.  Some comments:
>
> $ ../configure --with-s0-linkbase=0x40000 --prefix=/l4
>
> I'd recommend to explain how to use --without-com0 here (or whatever
> it is called, don't remember) to choose VGA output, or how to
> configure the serial port.  If you use vga, no -o option to laden and
> wortel should be used so you get all output on vga (but of course you
> can also mix it, whatever you want).
>
> Serial 1 is currently going to be used for remote debugging of
> userland apps.
>
> QEMU supports up to four serial ports, I use: "-serial stdio" and
> "-serial pty" and then I get the debugging output and kernel debugger
> in the terminal I started qemu in, and can use the pty for remote
> debugging with gdb (the latter doesn't work yet).

I'll try to investigate that.

> Next:
>
> "You should modify the first three lines to :
>  ARCH=ia32
>  CPU=i586
>  PLATFORM=pc99"
>
> I never did that.  I did change the menu item Processor Type to
> Pentium1 though.  Maybe it has the same effect (and then your document
> would be a bit redundant here).

I did follow what was said on the mailing-list, but looking at
config/config.h, it seems that it is redundant. As soon as I get
access to the wiki (now official home of the doc), I'll change that.

I'd also like to add the steps to make banner run if I can manage to
do it myself, but for the moment, sources.redhat.com is down :'(

Regards,
Alexandre