Re: Hurd-L4 : Architecture Questions

From: ness
Subject: Re: Hurd-L4 : Architecture Questions
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 18:42:01 +0200

[I'm not a expert, so be careful]
1.:
What is the owner of a process? The chief of it's clan? It's manager?
Well, in hurd everything works on capabilities. A process doesn't have a
owner in the way you know it from linux or so. A thread will be able to
get a capability from an authentication server so we can implement posix
compilant auth. Or you create an other authentication mechanism, if you
like it. You see, doing this with owners would not be a good idea, since
it doesn't collaborate with the capability philosophy and you wouldn't
even know what auth-server to ask.
2.:
Well, I think you need some core servers. Noone says these can't create
multible threads and be executed multiple times. We need them, because
we need some servers that are trusted always. The only servers everyone
has to trust are these core servers (since these are started by the
kernel and can do or not do what they want).