NetBSD drivers on HURD?

From: Lee Braiden
Subject: NetBSD drivers on HURD?
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:58:43 +0100

On Monday 18 July 2005 16:55, address@hidden wrote:
> Hey there.
>
> I'm new to GNU/Hurd on L4 (and in general), and I plan to implement a
> device driver framework so that real system usability can start to occur
> while other things are improved by other developers.  I'm considering the
> deva/fabrica and antrik proposals and don't currently have my own proposal
> or a design plan.

Sorry William, I can't help much myself (I'm just a lurker here on L4-HURD :),
but I've wondered about something a few times now, and this seems like a good
time to mention it...

I noticed that NetBSD has a reasonable number of drivers, and works on a lot
of platforms.  I also read something about machine-independant drivers,
though I'm not sure if that means what I hope it means :)  Briefly looking at
the driver writing guide for NetBSD, it *seems* pretty clean, and the bus
model might map nicely to HURD services.

It's a fairly obvious idea, and I'm sure it would have already been done if it
was easy, but what /is/ the thinking on NetBSD drivers in (L4-)HURD?

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com