Re: Changing from L4 to something else...

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Changing from L4 to something else...
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 17:08:12 +0100

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 10:52:43AM -0500, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> Damn. I lost a note in here somewhere.
>
> Somebody suggested that in extreme situations the application could
> *ask* the window manager to move the window.

That was me.  I also said you'd probably want to prevent the action
completely, while I would allow it but only with explicit user permission
(like with grab).

> The problem here is that the window manager cannot trust the
> application, so when it gets this request it must turn around and ask
> the user.

No.  It should just say "no", unless the user has already indicated that she
wants to be asked or that it's ok.

> Of course, if the user actually *wanted* the window to move, they could
> simply have moved it.

In some cases it may be useful to automate things.  That can include actions
which are usually performed by the user, such as moving windows.  Our system
should not make this impossible, but it shouldn't allow it by default.