Re: L4-HURD , POSIX, UNIX

From: Filip Brcic
Subject: Re: L4-HURD , POSIX, UNIX
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 17:10:58 +0100

Дана Tuesday 01 November 2005 16:47, Jonathan S. Shapiro је написао(ла):
> On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 13:35 +0100, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 08:02:29PM -0600, William Grim wrote:

> > I like persistence as well, mostly because I feel it results in a more
> > robust system.  However, if people already see concrete problems with it,
> > I'd like to hear them now, not after we decided that we want persistence.

Persistence could be an option. There are issues with persistence (such as
reloading the corrupt code on every boot), and therefore it should not be
enforced. Personaly, I would like to see persistence in GNU/Hurd.

> Thank you. This is absolutely correct and very much worth emphasizing.
> The two systems that I feel I know very well are UNIX and the
> KeyKOS/EROS line.
>
> The thing that I bring fairly uniquely is an in-depth understanding of
> security and robustness issues and how to make strong security usable.
> Whether this is important to Hurd must still be decided.

Strong security and robustness can always find some use. My opinion is that it
must not be enforced for the regular (future) Desktop user of Hurd, but it is
very important for server computers and embedded devices. If you have
experience and knowledge, you should be welcomed to use it for building a
secure and reliable Hurd.

> > I understood that you offered yourself as
> > our mentor (correct me if I misunderstood).
>
> You understood correctly.

The mentor in the Free Software is not the position you get appointed to. It
is more a position that you earn in time through contributions of good
software, ideas, thoughts, algorithms, etc. Therefore, I urge you to try to
become the mentor of the GNU/Hurd project.

--
Filip Brcic <address@hidden>
WWWeb: http://purl.org/NET/brcha/home/