Re: DRM

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: DRM
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 13:20:05 +0100

On 11/5/05, Jonathan S. Shapiro <address@hidden> wrote:

> I strongly dislike DRM. If we can arrive at a set of technical means
> that supports privacy and security without supporting DRM, I would be
> very comfortable with deploying a system that could not support DRM.
>
> Having said this, I must also say: if the technical price of having
> privacy is tolerating DRM, I believe that the value of privacy is
> greater than the evil of DRM even in its current form.

I do not see how you need DRM for privacy. Circumventing DRM is
illegal. If non-DRM devices were illegal it would remove freedom from
poeple who adhere to the law.
Now why would somebody spy on you? If it was your neighbor he would
have to get a system several orders more powerful than yours to crack
your privacy measures. That is not worth the trouble even without DRM.
If it was a concurrent that was trying to get your trade secrets he is
already violating the law, so he would probably not mind breaking it
in yet another way, and DRM is not going to stop him.

Thanks

Michal

--
             Support the freedom of music!
Maybe it's a weird genre  ..  but weird is *not* illegal.