Re: On PATH_MAX

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: On PATH_MAX
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:47:57 -0500

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 12:31 +0100, Bas Wijnen wrote:

> If the server can make guarantees about latency (which is useful anyway, to
> say the least), it should be able to tell how much schedule it needs.

Sorry. At *best* it can say how many cycles it requires. The problem
with what you say is that this does not correlate exactly to schedules.

Also, the check you propose would need to be done in the IPC path, and
it appears (to me) to be prohibitively expensive. We didn't look at this
exactly, but at something closely related.

shap