Re: On PATH_MAX

From: ness
Subject: Re: On PATH_MAX
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 22:44:29 +0100

Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 13:38 +0100, ness wrote:

Why shouldn't the thread of execution and scheduling time be provided by the caller, too?

Short answer: because then the provider could terminate the schedule
while the thread was executing within a critical region within the
server.

Game Over.

Hm. This is a serious problem. But sth. makes me feel it would be nice to make the caller pay. But you're right, we want the caller to be allowed to remove the thread or no longer pay for the scheduling.
Just out of curiousity:
Do you think it is possible to fully make the caller pay? I see two ways: the one way is to design every server without such critical regions (what's impossible, IMHO), or the server would need some more promises... Maybye it was possible to grant the thread of execution and make sure the caller cannot stop paying within such a critical region...
*consfusing*
--
-ness-