Re: On PATH_MAX

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: On PATH_MAX
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 01:35:59 -0500

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 16:41 +0100, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 03:02:36PM +0100, ness wrote:
> > The problem Jonathan pointed out is that *others* will delay. This is not
> > the case, as the server will be multithreaded.
>
> Multi-threaded, or handling data in chunks with an event-loop, like the Glib
> main loop that Gtk uses.
>
> Jonathan, would that solve the problems you are talking about?

It will not.

I've already talked about multithreading. Now let me tackle event loops.

The problem is that somewhere in the event loop you need to check to see
if you are blocking some other incoming request. This can be done with a
non-blocking wait, but then the problem is that you need to store the
state of the first activity while you go deal with the second. Or the
third. Or the 30th....

So yes, I think we can dramatically increase the magnitude of the
problem with just about any form of concurrency you care to try. We can
convert a program that was not real time into a program that is both not
real time and now is subject to storage denial of resource too!

shap