Re: Processor requirements

From: prikulis
Subject: Re: Processor requirements
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 22:50:57 +0200 (EET)

> There are many parts in the world where $600 in just about any
> currency are a fortune.
Not that people here in Riga could not afford it, but the amount of money
is enyough to consider, if hardware has to be bought again after a few
years.

In fact the computer is used often as before 10 years - for writing texts,
doing simple spreadsheet calculations. In an educational-scientific
institution here some sort of 80086 is still used for measurements, data
acquisition in one laboratory.

Throwing away old computers is nor necessary, nor ecological, and the
potential of an i586 should be more than enyough for browsing net, doing
calculations (if not with billions of variables, and with a good
algorithm) and more depending on the peripheral devices.

I myself would better like to sit home and practice some coding and think
about algorithms than go to the computer store and buy a new computer
part, as before that I would have to spend time on earning money for that
new computer too.

A computer is like a woman. Exploring one computer deeper would give
greater possibilities than changing them all the time.

Regards,
Janka