Re: Processor requirements

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Processor requirements
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 16:36:50 +0100

At Fri, 25 Nov 2005 01:39:15 +1300,
George Jenkins <address@hidden> wrote:

> As an engineer I can see this discussion has missed a major role of
> computers/processors. There is 'new' hardware being manufactured and
> designed now that is very much less powerful than 'old' hardware in the
> form of embedded systems and microcontrollers. Think the OS that runs
> your toaster.

Here is the bad thing: Most of us won't develop for such systems.

Here is the good thing: Companies building such systems are willing to
pay _you_ (or me, or somebody else) to develop such systems.  This is
because they will make some revenue selling the devices.

Thus, I think that it is very proper and in fact an opportunity, to
not make it impossible to run the software on embedded systems, but
also not to do all the work beforehand, but wait for somebody to
employ somebody to do so.  Especially as every embedded system is
different, and a lot of customization is necessary anyway.  It's
really a good market to earn some money in as a free software
developer.

Thanks,
Marcus