Re: Challenge: Find potential use cases for non-trivial confinement

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Challenge: Find potential use cases for non-trivial confinement
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 18:44:25 +0200

Scribit Bas Wijnen dies 01/05/2006 hora 17:53:
> > > I think this is a case of "we don't want to support this".
> > Why?
> Because the only reason it is needed is to support development of
> non-free software. Even more non-free than is currently possible, in
> fact.

Plain false. It is currently possible, AFAICS:

address@hidden:~/public_html/moi$ ls
index.xhtml  moi.rdf
address@hidden:~/public_html/moi$ sudo chmod go-r /bin/ls
address@hidden:~/public_html/moi$ ls
index.xhtml  moi.rdf

Maybe I missed something...

Remember that there is no clause in GCC license that forbids its use
with proprietary software. Maybe because *this* is really supporting
freedom.

Rejecting an otherwise legitimate use case because it would be used for
something otherwise allowed and accepted by the society but that you
personally find bad is, IMHO, quite the opposite of free software.

And I really think this a way of thinking and acting for free software
that would cause more harm to it than good.

I'm a strong advocate of free software, and I'm just trying to convince
one of my customers to release the software he's paying me to develop
with a free software license. I know forcing him would just bring him to
think free software is dangerous. Educating him and having him to accept
will be far more productive in the long term. We are here in a similar
situation with confinement.

Freely,
Nowhere man
--