Re: Challenge: Find potential use cases for non-trivial confinement

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Challenge: Find potential use cases for non-trivial confinement
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 12:45:00 -0400

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 17:53 +0200, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 05:00:26PM +0200, Pierre THIERRY wrote:

> > There *are* legitimate cases where you want a technical solution to
> > enforce some security policy.
>
> Yes.  But some other cases, such as DRM to protect copyright, have
> unreasonable side-effects.  We do not need to support such things IMO.

I just want to be very clear what you are saying. You are saying that
the DRM issue is *so* important that you cannot imagine some other use
case for encapsulation and/or identification that would lead you to
accept these features, correct?

If so, this is good. I think this is the heart of the Hurd-purpose issue
that must be decided.

> > Why?
>
> Because the only reason it is needed is to support development of non-free
> software.  Even more non-free than is currently possible, in fact.

This is the question that we need to determine -- whether it is, in
fact, useful only to support non-free software. Let us not assume the
answer just yet.

shap