Re: Challenge: Find potential use cases for non-trivial confinement

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Challenge: Find potential use cases for non-trivial confinement
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 14:45:28 +0200

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 07:02:11AM +0200, Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> artists pay for some time to occupy the facilty,
>
> But Alice is not ready to disclose her cool sound processing algorithms
> yet, so the sound engineer has to be able to execute the DSP, read input
> sound data as well as external data, write external data, but should not
> be able to read the sound processor and write it to the external device.

Alice will naturally make it a service then, which can be called by the
artists.

However, this is a slightly different situation.  The artists may not even
have an account on the machine at all.  Therefore, Alice can simply provide
them with an interface which is restrictive.  In particular, they may not be
able to run any software other than what is provided by the system.

And if there's somehow something wrong with these arguments, this isn't a big
enough case to change the whole OS for.  If Hurd can be useful on embedded
devices like this one (and I think it can), that is good.  But it's not a big
problem if it can't.