Re: Part 1: Ownership and Contracts

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Part 1: Ownership and Contracts
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 15:54:49 +0200

At Wed, 3 May 2006 14:45:21 +0200,
Pierre THIERRY <address@hidden> wrote:

> [1  <multipart/signed (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> Scribit Marcus Brinkmann dies 03/05/2006 hora 10:52:
> > In computer systems with "trusted computing" components, the mediating
> > agent are the people or companies designing and building the "trusted
> > computing" hardware.
>
> You said that the mediating agent has ownership on both parties. Could
> you elaborate on how thoses companies would have an exclusive right to
> possess, use and dispose of the two processes?

I did not say that the right is exclusive, or applies to the two
processes.  I said:

"In either case, the mediating agent has, not exclusive, but
 still quite complete ownership over the property that is part of the
 contract (possession, use and disposal)."

So, the use of the word ownership is not completely appropriate here.
Maybe the word possession is better.

Note that this control may only be nominal, because these companies
assert that the chip complies to the specification and the
specification does not contain any backdoors.  However, you do not
have independent proof of that.  And if, why would you believe the
prover?  In the end, the buck stops somewhere.

Oh, and it could be the FBI or CIA as well.

Thanks,
Marcus