Re: Part 1: Ownership and Contracts

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Part 1: Ownership and Contracts
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 09:35:32 +0200

Scribit Michal Suchanek dies 05/05/2006 hora 15:26:
> > But this control is a very very hypothetical one, and I'm not even
> > sure it is theoretically possible. There you do not take active
> > defense, but merely paranoid abusive defense, IMHO.
> I do not think that this is very hypothetical. The manufacturer of the
> TPM chips is in a position where their components cannot be verified
> (because their function requires that) yet the chips are the central
> part that guarantees the security and reliability of a DRM system (or
> any system using the TPM chip).

It is not central in security nor in reliability! It provides only a
certification mechanism, and has nothing to do with securing the system
from outside. And it has absolutely nothing with the reliability of the
system...

So the chip, for what I know, is totally unable to give anyone control
over the system. If there is the slightest chance of it, just advocate
very strongly for the TC chip to be removable and replaceable.

> And while a certificate can be revoked, revoking TPM chips may be much
> harder.

Which is a very strong flaw in it's design. It should be possible to
change it, I think.

And if you're not happy with it, maybe you could burn it.

Quickly,
Nowhere man
--
address@hidden