Re: Design principles and ethics

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Design principles and ethics
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 09:30:35 +0200

Scribit Michal Suchanek dies 05/05/2006 hora 16:18:
> DMCA in Europe ?!

Yes. :-/

> Isn't DMCA the law saying that you cannot copy anything that is
> copy-protected, even if you had the right to copy it otherwise (ie if
> there was no copy protection)?

Yes, and some exceptions to the copyright are not available anymore,
like the right to do a backup. In France, the first version of the law
also let apart exceptions for libraries and academics, I think.

> Indeed DRM activists would make this rule unbreakable. They seek to
> establish copy protection that cannot be ever circumvented.

DRM will not make it impossible to circumvent. DRM is about to give a
sealed container and the key. It is only ``possible'' because it uses
proprietary software, and there are solutions to break DRM.

Not when on top of TC, though.

Quickly,
Nowhere man
--