Re: Part 2: System Structure

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Part 2: System Structure
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 13:54:38 +0200

At Mon, 15 May 2006 13:11:36 +0200,
"Michal Suchanek" <address@hidden> wrote:
> In the case of the game it should not be a problem if the temporary
> storage is disclosed. After all, the game is probably known, and a
> copy that the user runs himself can be examined in any way he wishes.
> However, the storage given to the game should not be writable by the
> user as long as the game uses it (ie until it is revoked).

I don't think so.  If you reveal the current state of the competition,
I may be able to cheat.  For example, I may be able to write a bot
that plays the game perfectly.  Also, any probabilistic events would
be revealed at the moment they are rolled, not at the moment they are
revealed through the GUI.  Consider mine sweeper or card competitions.

> This is a restriction but I do not think it is DRM because the most
> important purpose of DRM is not to disclose data.

Well, I am not hooked up to this term.  Call it multi-party computing
if you want.  For me, they are synonymous.

Thanks,
Marcus