Re: Part 2: System Structure

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Part 2: System Structure
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 22:02:52 +0200

At Mon, 15 May 2006 18:02:04 +0200,
Pierre THIERRY <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Without even investigating into these issues, I know from news reports
> > about one person killed by playing Starcraft and one person killed by
> > playing Everquest (another committed suicide).
>
> There have been many more deaths in theatre, or role-playing games. Do
> you suggest that we stop playing roles on stage or around a table? I do
> believe that MMORPG have a very addictive nature and can become
> dangerous, but your argument is bullshit.

You apparently misunderstood my argument.  I am not saying that people
should not be able to participate in dangerous activities.  I am
saying that any exploitation of one group of people (addictive gamers)
by another group of people (game providers) should be subject to
control and monitoring.  And there is no doubt that one driving
motivation behind today's game design is explicitely to create
addiction.

One of my sources is "When games stop being fun", CNET News,
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-881673.html Please also read the
comments from readers, which contain many personal stories.  And if
you then want to uphold your analogy, please show me the corresponding
stories from actors or role players.

> This is a problem of method here. One case never proved anything.
> Proportion and statistical evidence can be considered a proof. Drugs do
> kill too many people to be safely considered a sensible leisure. That
> doesn't apply to MMORPG for now, for what I know.

Well, as usual, science and legislation is lagging behind the
technical development here, so more research is necessary.  However,
there are several credible studies that identify computer and in
particular online game addiction as a serious problem.  A collection
appears here:

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:YB_8E5GRor8J:multimedia.design.curtin.edu/cache/g/0002/

In one study, http://www.nickyee.com/mosaic/addiction.html, 40%-50% of
the gamers consider themselves to be addicted.  10%-20% tried to quit
gaming but were unsuccessful.

> > So, no, it is not at all obvious to me that we should support this.
> > In fact, I am quite convinced that personally, I do not want to
> > support this.
>
> But that's a very personal judgment, with no obvious link with GNU
> philosophy. You're free, then, to make no effort to help actively to
> support computer competition, but it's no reason for the Hurd to avoid
> supporting it.

I agree.  That would not be a good reason.

Thanks,
Marcus