Re: Part 2: System Structure

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Part 2: System Structure
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 12:38:11 +0200

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 11:02:07AM +0200, Michal Suchanek wrote:
> >> I don't see how your proposal enables a process to check anything
> >> accurately and in a tamperproof way about it's environment. In your
> >> model, it is mandatory for a process to trust all of it's parents.
> >>
> >> In the ping or competition case, that's not possible.
> >
> >It is.  The parent space bank is the user session, which is not under user
> >control.
>
> In your proposal the user can choose to run the program in opaque
> storage.  But the administrator cannot choose to set up a program that
> can be run only in opaque storage to ensure its integrity (much like
> suid programs on unix).

He can.  My proposal (which, for clarity, I'd prefer not to need.  But if we
need opaque storage I think this is the way to implement it) makes opaque
storage possible.  A constructor is simply a service which starts a program.
No special features are needed for it.  A constructor which allows running on
opaque user provided storage of course needs a way for the user to provide
opaque storage (and for the constructor to check it).  That's what the
proposal provides.  Implementing a constructor around it which works identical
to constructors in Jonathan's proposal is trival.