Re: Hurd/L4 active?

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: Hurd/L4 active?
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:20:36 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 07:21:53PM +1200, Shams wrote:

> Is this project still active developed?

The original Hurd/L4 project isn't developed anymore for quite a while
now. There were some very fundamental problems with the original design.

> Is the now the chosen microkernel for Hurd? If not then what kernel is
> and what are the future development plans for Hurd.
>
> I have also read about ngHurd, is this different code base then the
> current Hurd.

Since the death of the original Hurd/L4 port, this list has been used
for discussions about a totally new design, often referred to as ngHurd.
However, no code exists so far; and in fact it's still not clear what
microkernel will be used for it, or how the design will look exactly.

> If so then why can't we all just contribute to the same code base and
> improve the existing Mach and Hurd and rather then forking another
> Hurd project.

This is not really meant as a Fork; rather an experimental/research
subproject.

> This will delay Hurd even more??

Maybe, maybe not. Hard to tell. Some people are interested only in
working on the existing (mostly working) codebase; some are interested
only in the new ideas -- there is not that much conflict here I think.

The main problem I see is that people can easily get the impression that
the existing codebase is obsolete and it's not worthwhile to work on it
-- which is totally wrong, and we should try to avoid such
misconceptions as good as possible.

On the other hand, the new ideas attract more interest in the Hurd in
general, so it might actually be a net win even for the existing
codebase...

-antik-