Re: [ANNOUNCE] Introducing Codezero

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Introducing Codezero
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 03:53:20 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 02:46:50PM +0300, Bahadir Balban wrote:

> I would like to announce my ongoing work on a new L4 microkernel
> called  Codezero. Codezero is a modern L4 microkernel implementation
> written in  C. It targets embedded platforms, supports the ARM
> architecture, and  aims to implement both virtualization and native OS
> components in one  system.
>
> Codezero has a design and API that is similar to existing L4
> microkernels such as Pistachio.

Pistachio? Does that mean that just like Pistachio it has no kernel
support for protected IPC? If so, this is a total show-stopper -- it was
the main reason why the original Hurd/L4 port has been abandoned...

> The software currently comes with two services: First one is the
> default  pager called MM0 that provides memory management capabilities
> with a  POSIX-like API. It supports proper demand paging and
> implements calls  such as fork, clone, execve, exit, mmap, shm.
>
> The second service is called FS0 and it implements the virtual
> filesystem layer. This service supports calls such as open, close,
> read,  write, lseek, stat, fsync, etc.
>
> I believe the triplet is closest to what you (or at least I, given the
> past versions of Hurd) would imagine or expect to have as an OS core
> based around L4.

Not really: the Hurd does *not* have a central VFS layer.

I can't really say much about the memory manager; but from the sound of
it, it's also more monolithic than the relevant services in the Hurd...

-antrik-