Re: [ANNOUNCE] Introducing Codezero

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Introducing Codezero
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:28:17 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 10:31:21PM +0300, Bahadir Balban wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:

> IPC on Codezero is not controlled, yet. It's version 0.1 after all. It
> is possible to implement this, and one option is to add capabilities.
> But it won't be  object-based capabilities because I generaly oppose
> designing everything  around object oriented methods.

I'm not very familiar with the terminology, and "object oriented" is an
extremely blurry term anyways. I have no idea what it means here...

> In my opinion, object-based design is useful on some occasions, but
> software (and systems) are more ad-hoc in nature than being modeled
> around a well-structured object system. The short conclusion is that
> if you enforce objects everywhere, you end up over-designing your
> system.

I totally agree on this, regarding OO programming languages...

I'm not sure how it applies to capability systems, though.

> OK I agree that the latest work on Hurd does not reflect what I meant.
> I roughly meant a microkernel-based OS core that has servers
> implemented in userspace.

That's what *every* true microkernel design is...

> Anyways, these are my general thoughts. I can go into more detail if
> anyone is interested.

Sure :-)

-antrik-