Re: Broken dream of mine :(

From: Damien Thébault
Subject: Re: Broken dream of mine :(
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 23:29:14 +0200

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 21:09, Bas Wijnen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I know, this is just a rant, but I just wanted to share what I'm
>> thinking from my external point of view.
>
> No problem. :-)  Would you have an idea for how to improve things?  You
> suggest that we should just take a random kernel which looks roughly ok
> and go with that.  (I'm exaggerating it, but that is your idea, right?)

Yes, in the end it looks like something like that.

> As I explained, we don't want to do that.  But perhaps you have some
> other ideas?

I understand that now that we have Mach, we want to build something once,
so the (micro-)kernel has to be the good one from the start.
This seems to be a good plan to me.

Since we were able to try things with the previous kernels (and I'm sure
people did things themselves), ideas can be categorized into good/bad,
easy/hard/impossible, and finally wanted/not wanted.
Once this is done, things can be built one step after another; architecture
of the different parts, design, and so on.

That's how I'd do things. Yes, I know, this is just like software engineering,
but usually it works in the end.
Sadly I don't have time to do this kind of things (right now, maybe someday).

Regards,
--
Damien Thebault