Re: Broken dream of mine :(

From: William Leslie
Subject: Re: Broken dream of mine :(
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 16:37:26 +1000

2009/9/30 arnuld uttre <address@hidden>:
> Now I wonder why Viengoos was created as an alternative if Coyotos was fine.

It may* have been fine for what it does, but like any good microkernel
(including L4), Coyotos leaves resource partitioning to userspace
servers. Most of what Viengoos does seems to me to be implementing
means for resource management; choice of microkernel under that effort
may or may not have had an effect on how difficult it was to
implement.

I don't think Neal made a bad choice, going with an established kernel
(pistachio) as a base makes more sense than getting roped into
maintaining one yourself (which may have happened had he used
Coyotos), all things being equal.

William Leslie

* this does not imply that it *is* fine, some surely disagree.