Re: Broken dream of mine :(

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: Broken dream of mine :(
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:19:50 +0200

2009/9/18 arnuld uttre <address@hidden>:
>> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Michal Suchanek
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> It's the same with C++. It allows for many things some of which I
>> would consider monstrous. Whlie you can write nice code with it, much
>> nicer than with C alone you still need to be aware of how things work
>> internally. That's the basic thing in which C++ did not manage to step
>> away form C, and that's probably also the thing that makes it possible
>> to write a kernel in C++.
>
> Exactly thats what I have found. Sometimes I wonder if OCaml could be useful:
>
> http://steve.yegge.googlepages.com/ocaml
> http://steve.yegge.googlepages.com/more-ocaml
> http://www.ffconsultancy.com/languages/ray_tracer/comparison.html
> http://people.cs.ubc.ca/~murphyk/Software/Ocaml/why_ocaml.html

It certainly could. It seems to be sitting in the right spot on
low-level - high-level scale when you are out for a language for
mathematical computations.
However, if you agree that the low-level nature of C/C++ is what makes
it suitable for writing things like kernels then OCaml is probably not
a better fit for such tasks.

Thanks

Michal