Re: C++

From: Tom Bachmann
Subject: Re: C++
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 18:45:49 +0200

Bas Wijnen wrote:
Linus' argument is that for the kind of low-level code where C is
useful, C++ doesn't offer any advantages; only problems.

I thought this as well, but I have found that using only a few features
(in particular organizing code in classes with member functions, instead
of creating interfaces which pass their object as an explicit first
argument) will really make the result a lot more readable.  Of course
using C++ doesn't give any problems at all, as long as you use it
properly.  Unless you consider "I'm unable to use 'new' as an identifier
name" a problem.

I strongly side with bas here. Even if you hate so many things about C++ (which I'm not going to argue about), the syntactic sugar for non-fancy OOP (i.e. class and method structure, single inheritance) is a sufficient reason to use C++ IMHO.

Apart from that you can do wonderful things with templates, but … lets not go into this.

Thanks,
Tom