Re: sustainable development

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: sustainable development
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 03:08:27 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 01:15:57PM +0100, Sam Mason wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 09:21:07AM +0200, address@hidden
> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 03:40:19PM +0100, Sam Mason wrote:

> > > Maybe you could look at how EnterpriseDB or CommandPrompt operate.
> >
> > EnterpriseDB is proprietary software; please don'n recommend it
> > here.
>
> Interesting response and not a great way to build community, how about
> giving me the benefit of the doubt?

Not sure what you mean... I certainly didn't attack you personally.
Merely pointing out that mentioning EnterpriseDB as a valid model is
inappropriate here :-)

> Please be aware that "nice" here is very loaded with your conceptions
> of what a "good" software company should be.  I'm not saying it's good
> or bad, just to be aware that you're making some pretty broad
> statements.
>

> BTW, I'm in academia so it's in my interest to be open and release
> things, other entities have other goals and I wouldn't want to impinge
> upon them unless they were forcing their desires on me.

Proprietary software companies are impinging restrictive licenses on
their users; we believe this to be immoral.

Remember that this is a GNU project, and most people here are rather
firm regarding free software ideals...

(Which makes it all the more annoying that an arrogant clueless person
like this Steve Paesani, who didn't take the trouble to learn about our
philosophy, nor about the commercial success of various companies
sticking to this philosophy, comes here telling us how we should license
our software; as if he'd know more about it than we do...)

-antrik-