Re: sustainable development

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: sustainable development
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 03:15:34 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 07:36:00PM +0200, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> Am Samstag, 15. August 2009 02:34:58 schrieb steve paesani:

> Please have a look at the success of LimeWire: - http://limewire.org -
> http://limewire.com
>
> They sell a completely GPL licensed Gnutella p2p program, and they
> make really good money off it.
>
> The means they use is to provide a Pro version which offers improved
> performance by some changes which everyone could do himself in the
> sources.

Err... I don't quite get it. So is it free software what they sell? Do
they provide the modified sources?

> You won't be able to create a self-running money machine, though.

Very few people manage to do that with proprietary software. So few in
fact that it's insiginifcant. I don't think it's even appropriate to
mention it in this context... It's just not true that people writing
proprietary software get richer than those writing free software.

-antrik-