Re: [Libcdio-devel] Adding required m4 files

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Adding required m4 files
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:11:22 -0400

Peter Creath writes:
 > What do people think about replacing the guts of autogen.sh with a
 > call to autoreconf?  I can check in a patch if nobody sees a problem
 > with this.

Personally I'm not wedded to any of this crap. I sometimes use
autoreconf.

 > Also, do we have any strong feelings about maintainer mode?  This
 > seems to be deprecated now as well:
 > <http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/automake/maintainer_002dmode.html>.
 >  It sounds like there are some reasons to still use it, but I don't
 > know if they apply to libcdio.  Rocky?

The URL cited above says:
   AM_MAINTAINER_MODE also allows you to disable some custom build rules
conditionally.

Because it was there and getting turned on, I used it to add a rule
the regenreate the ChangeLog which I do just before a release. The
ChangeLog target assumes you have cvs2cl which I suspect many people
won't have.

As long as we keep some way to regenerate ChangeLog either as another
conditional or make it unconditional, I'm cool. Again, I'm not wedded
to this crap.