Re: [Libcdio-devel] OS/2 patches

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] OS/2 patches
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 07:09:29 -0400

Ok, then you can be responsible for OS/2 . That means that you will be
expected to test, in advance, releases. Note that this is a change from the
laxness we've had in the past with respect to releases.

If you disappear and there is no one else to take responsibility, the
ability to test OS/2 disappears, then OS/2 support in libcdio may disappear
as well.

> What about testing an OS getopt first ?

We have 7 or so drivers that work with the supplied getopt.c and one that
doesn't. And for that one driver we have maybe two people who use that.
Even here, their use is probably infrequently for say Mplayer while the
uses elsewhere span audio ripping, other media players, making boot CDs and
lots of other things I probably don't know about. So guess which way causes
the least disruption to the majority of users and developers?

Couple that with the fact currently we don't have rigorous tests either
getopt routine to make sure that works.  It's possible, though that in one
of the larger integration tests, we might catch a malfunctioning getopt,
but I wouldn't want to count on that.

If you want to start writing a test suite for getopt whether it the
provided one or the OS-supplied one, we can reconsider. But given things
are currently the way they are, if the supplied getopt works, it's better
to to use that, because assuming the getopt.c compiles as it was intended,
we *know* what the intended behavior is.