Re: [Libcdio-devel] libcdio 2.1.0 released and on ftp.gnu.org

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] libcdio 2.1.0 released and on ftp.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 15:39:10 -0400

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 1:06 PM Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

> Rocky Bernstein <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > See http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libcdio/?C=M;O=D
> >
> > Thanks to everyone for the h[elp] on this release and especially to Edd
> > Barrett and Thomas Schmitt. This bulk of this release is work that they
> did.
>
> [I disappeared from libcdio since it's something I wanted to help package
> and fix for NetBSD more than a core interest and I was distracted by a
> number of things other than Free Software.]

No problem, and don't feel bad. This happens all the time. In fact if you
look at the people who have worked on this over the years, most of them
haven't been active in a while. This is expected in open source projects.

> Thanks to all for paying attention to portability.  The release builds
> on NetBSD-8 under pkgsrc just fine, and I have just committed an update
> to pkgsrc.

Again this, is due to the careful work of both Edd and Thomas.

> I noticed that cdda-player is not build on NetBSD or OpenBSD, and it
> seems clearly intentional (but I didn't see it in NEWS, so I'm only 99%
> confident).  It was built in 2.0.0; perhaps it never did anything
> useful.  This was somewhat non-obvious, so a AC_MESSAGE of "Disabling
> cdda-player because it is not supported on NetBSD and OpenBSD" would be
> perhaps helpful.

Looking at configure.ac it looks to me like it should be built by defaulit,
but wil not if the libncurses or libcurses is not found. See
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libcdio.git/tree/configure.ac#n654

And there should be a message when cdda-player is not built. It should
happen near the code cited above here and should also appear at the end of
configuration. See around line 756 of configure.ac
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libcdio.git/tree/configure.ac#n756>

What cdda-player does is probably not useful to most people nowadays. Some
CD-ROM players, especially the early ones had a headphone jack in the
device that you could plug into from the outside. Other models had I think
a some pins on the back separate from the power and data cables that you
could attach a speaker to. With this, you could issue a command to start
the CD-ROM to start playing as a standalone device and if you were plugged
into the headphone jack in the front or had these speaker wires attached on
the back you would hear an Audio CD played. No WAV data would be sent to
the computer.

All the tests pass on NetBSD-8/amd64.

Excellent!