libreplanet-discuss

Re: Sacrifices made for Free Software

From: Federico Leva (Nemo)
Subject: Re: Sacrifices made for Free Software
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 11:19:17 +0300

Paul Sutton, 29/07/20 21:31:
> In the UK I guess on main piece of software is SIMS,  this is a school
> management software system seems to have been around for decades.  so it
> helps to manage all sorts of essential school, and student data.

Ah yes, that's a whole other story. Do students ever have to interact
directly with it?

In Italy there's U-Gov <https://www.cineca.it/progetti/u-gov>, which is
practically speaking a legal monopoly. The provider is a consortium
which is nominally owned by the universities, but is in practice used by
the ministry to enslave them. So they're happy to keep it proprietary
even though it cost them several lost lawsuits already. The ministry is
happy to foot the bill as long as it buys some power for the bureaucracy
in Rome.

Federico