libreplanet-discuss

Re: Matrix communication protocol.

From: Denver Gingerich
Subject: Re: Matrix communication protocol.
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 17:34:56 +0000

On Sat, Aug 01, 2020 at 07:25:15PM +0200, Msavoritias wrote:
>    The second point I was trying to raise is that XMPP doesn't have good
>    clients for Mobile,

You mention this repeatedly without explaining why Conversations has "bad
design".  Most people I know love the design of Conversations, so I have
trouble seeing why Conversations is holding back XMPP in some way.

>    doesn't have modern features

The only feature you have explicitly mentioned is "stickers".  I'm not sure why
this is an important feature for FSF to have in a protocol they want to
promote.  Are there other "modern features" that XMPP is missing?

>    or even a coherent standard.

As we've mentioned, there are coherent standards for XMPP.  If you want a
client that supports the important standards, use Gajim or Conversations.

>    So by that point I was advocating to have a Matrix server so we can
>    attract new contributors that may want modern features.

Per above, please tell us which "modern features" you mean.  Thanks!

Denver
https://jmp.chat/