libreplanet-discuss

Re: Advice Workplace that Forces Non-Free Software

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Advice Workplace that Forces Non-Free Software
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 10:36:38 +0300

* fischersfritz@sent.at <fischersfritz@sent.at> [2020-08-11 17:58]:
> Dear Crista,
>
> Let us separate two concerns: Your own freedom and your support
> of others' freedom.

Person that is employed and that already works with non-free software
cannot easily enforce free software. I would enforce it from ground
up, as I would simply refuse to provide my skills by using non-free
software, and I would say why, an I would say how it can be done by
free software, and normally people get positively excited they would
even change their operating systems. I have converted so many people
to free operating systems and free software, and many people became
much happier with such, especially in regards to licensing issues,
they could freely share or distribute software or install on multiple
computers.

> I suspect you can largely maintain your own software freedom at work.
> I personally don't mind using proprietary software for work, provided
> that I don't make a remarkable effort to learn the software, that it
> run on a dedicated computer and, of course, that I get paid enough.

Me, I would not, I would bring the issue upfront and solve it
easily. That is why some people invited me to seminars about free
software, so I got paid for explaining them, even I did not intend. It
was suddenly so much money for few hours of talk.

There must be many organization that use free software. I am sure
there are many jobs with free software only, as that is how it is in
Germany, Europe.

Jean