libreplanet-discuss

Re: Are there any eBook readers one can use in freedom?

From: Greg Farough
Subject: Re: Are there any eBook readers one can use in freedom?
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 11:10:30 -0500

On Wed, Dec 22 2021, Caleb Herbert <csh@bluehome.net> wrote:

> I've been tempted to get a Kobo. It prefers PDF and EPUB, but it gets
> software updates.

I've had this page[1] bookmarked for a while, but have never
personally tried it. From what I understand, it could be a step above
the usual method of installing KOReader, as I think it also replaces
the nonfree "Nickel" software that's preloaded on the device.

It seems like part of the build process for okreader is pulling in and
compiling a kernel -- I wonder if that could be pointed to the
identical linux-libre version. The lack of WiFi firmware wouldn't be
an issue, since KOReader enables USB storage, but I'm not sure how the
lack of "EPD controller firmware" would affect things.

In the meantime, I enjoy reading books with nov.el in Emacs. :)

-g

[1]: https://github.com/lgeek/okreader

--
Greg Farough // Campaigns Manager