libreplanet-discuss

Re: Are there any eBook readers one can use in freedom?

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: Are there any eBook readers one can use in freedom?
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 09:20:53 +1100

On Wed, Dec 22 2021, Greg Farough wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 22 2021, Caleb Herbert <csh@bluehome.net> wrote:
>
>> I've been tempted to get a Kobo. It prefers PDF and EPUB, but it gets
>> software updates.
>
> I've had this page[1] bookmarked for a while, but have never
> personally tried it. From what I understand, it could be a step above
> the usual method of installing KOReader, as I think it also replaces
> the nonfree "Nickel" software that's preloaded on the device.
>
> It seems like part of the build process for okreader is pulling in and
> compiling a kernel -- I wonder if that could be pointed to the
> identical linux-libre version. The lack of WiFi firmware wouldn't be
> an issue, since KOReader enables USB storage, but I'm not sure how the
> lack of "EPD controller firmware" would affect things.
>
> In the meantime, I enjoy reading books with nov.el in Emacs. :)

+1 to nov.el.  I've been using it with follow-mode to get a double or
even triple page view (you might want to remove the header for the
follow mode to work properly) :)  Would be interested in getting a full
text search which is the only thing I miss from calibre's reader.

> -g
>
> [1]: https://github.com/lgeek/okreader

Best,
Yuchen

--
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.me/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>