libreplanet-discuss

Re: LibreJam - FSF* should host a Libre Game development tournament!

From: Paul Sutton
Subject: Re: LibreJam - FSF* should host a Libre Game development tournament!
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 09:33:43 +0000

On 30/12/2021 08:34, Yasuaki Kudo wrote:
Hello!

I was just casually glancing through my email inbox and this caught my
attention!

Recently, I have become convinced that a viable way to start a new
collaborative society is through community efforts in having fun, developing
our own video games together and by extension, creating rich interactive
educational content!  Not only the content itself, even the process of making
the game itself can be made into an educational content (like the show
PowerNation 😆)

  I am discussing with a few people and hopefully we will start to do something
next year 😄.

In my opinion, Education is the key to everything, and in terms of computer
programming, it is the way to simplify software with better algorithm, rather
than mindlessly putting together unaccountable libraries (NPM??)

Cheers,
Yasu

Hi Yasu

This sounds like a good idea, however at times I feel we end up just reinventing the wheel with things.

There are lots of platforms out there, that teach programming,

https://www.freecodecamp.org is one, https://www.codecademy.org is another, with the former their tutorials go beyond the courses on offer and cover a whole range of areas, including making games.

I have put info below at [1] on a recent free code camp course.

Perhaps we can make use of these existing assets, while people can follow the courses, surely the language is the same, e.g c/c++ just the tools used can vary, so here we would prefer to use the gnu tools for example.

Many assets are shared via youtube, so we can do the same via peertube, I am on Diode.zone but the other instance I am on qoto.org for mastodon also hosts a peertube instance, so perhaps make use of what is already there.

Make more use of Mastodon for communication too, this will hopefully have the effect of showing Mastodon is not only active but has engaging and education conversations too.

Given the huge number of choices and options out there, it is really confusing for people as to where to get started with learning . I set up a forum at

https://forum.tuxiversity.org/

to try and address some of this, so if you want to study say web design, then where do you start, html is the same, different courses will teach you pretty much the same content, lets help people take the first steps and support them.

The biggest problem is person power, people having the time to dedicate to creating the content and supporting people with that.

People need to earn money to buy food, pay bills and put a roof over their heads, so if someone is going to take the time / effort to learn something then at the end of that there HAS to be doors opening in to paid work.

Perhaps as part of this, where there are jobs wuth say nextcloud, or other free software projects we, can see what skills are needed and perhaps help taylor education to help fit some of these requirements

Lets explore your ideas further

Hope this helps

Regards

Paul