libtool and quote stripping

From: s_a_white
Subject: libtool and quote stripping
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 17:33:38 +0100

Hi,

I found another problem the other day.  I created a line with a define on it
and found libtool (1.3c) removed my quotes which were needed:

c++ -DMY_STRING="FOO" ...

now on the libtool (second) pass I get:

libtool ... c++ -DMY_STRING=FOO ...

Since I'm using this string in a printf it falls over on the second pass.
I've also noticed the libtool removes quotes from other things like
directories.  I can only hope that removing quotes from around directory
names with spaces in is handled.  If you strip those there will no doubt be
problems!

Also through testing I've noticed from the first pass I get things like
this:

"/BUILDROOT"/include

seems to work although to me it should have been converted to
"/BUILDROOT/include".

The same line on the second pass becomes just:

/BUILDROOT/include

Hence why I'm wondering what would happen if we started out with:

"/BUILD ROOT"/include

Simon