Re: shared library linking on Darwin

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: shared library linking on Darwin
Date: 17 Apr 2001 00:50:05 -0300

On Apr 17, 2001, Chris Leishman <address@hidden> wrote:

> *** Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by
> extra/libextra.a.

> Unfortunately I can't get the application to load the libshared.a file
> as a dynamic module (not unsurprising).  Even if I specify -dlopen on
> the command line it still barfs

How exactly are you specifying this flag, and what exactly happens?

> I'm just wondering why it can't just suck the object files out of the
> archive when linking the shared library?

Because they're likely to be non-PIC, and several platforms don't
support non-PIC in shared libraries.  If Darwin does, all you have to
do is to post a patch that sets deplibs_check_method=pass_all.

> That seems to be how it works on other platforms.

You haven't tested on enough other platforms :-)

> Alternatively I can compile the subdir as a shared library, but that
> means I need to use inter library dependencies when module loading -

Compile it as a libtool convenience archive.  That's exactly the
purpose of this feature.

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}