Re: static/shared libraries on AIX

From: libtool
Subject: Re: static/shared libraries on AIX
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:28:22 -0500

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 10:12:52AM -0500, Robert Boehne wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:
> >
> > Dan and Robert, please review. The patch does the following:
> >   1. If using runtime-linking, created shared libraries with
> >      -G as the final option. Remove -bM:SRE if runtime-linking
> >      in effect and creating shared libraries.
> >   2. If using runtime-linking, create static libraries *only*
> >      under lib<name>.a and shared libraries *only* under
> >      lib<name>.so.
> >   3. Fix bug in allow_undefined_flag WRT evaluation of
> >      allow_undefined_flag.
> >   4. Rename lt_cv_prog_cc_static to ac_cv_prog_cc_static.
> >   5. Set ac_cv_prog_cc_wl='-Wl,' to fix bug in quote.test.
> >   6. Set soname_spec='${libname}${release}.so$major' to sync
> >      with 1.4.
> >
> > --
> > albert chin (address@hidden)
>
> I completely agree.  I never really liked the idea that you'd have
> to add platform specific flags to get runtime linking, as I'm
> an Automake user.  It will take quite a while, but I'm going to
> test your patch on my project, 55 C++ shared libraries dependent
> on each other, all created using Automake from 160MB of source.
>   In my expierence, if THAT works, it's pretty darn good.
> Unfortunately, this takes several days to compile so don't
> expect the results tomorrow.  ;)

Well, you still need LDFLAGS="-Wl,-brtl". I haven't made it
transparent yet. Once the above patch is confirmed to work, then it'll
be relatively easy to set $aix_use_runtimelinking=yes for aix 4.2 and
above.

Also, I have *not* tested with gcc nor g++ so ltcf-cxx.sh is getting
less attention that ltcf-c.sh.

At this point, I just want to make sure the test suite is 100%
correct. I'm testing with gcc now.

--
albert chin (address@hidden)