Re: install phase fails

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: install phase fails
Date: 24 May 2001 05:16:11 -0300

On May 23, 2001, Brian May <address@hidden> wrote:

> for some reason this hasn't been a problem (with libtool 1.4) until
> just now (maybe upgrading to glibc 2.2.3 from 2.2.2 triggered it)?

The problem has to do with requiring relinking at install time.  This
is necessary when one library in the build tree depends on another
library in the build tree.  The other library must be installed first,
and, when the former is to be installed, the other must already be
accessible in its previously-specified installation path, which is
different from the prefix you have specified at install time.

In general, when relinking is necessary, you must not use a different
prefix to install than the one used to build.

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}