Re: [Mingw-msys] Re: MinGW libtool DLL failure

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [Mingw-msys] Re: MinGW libtool DLL failure
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 10:40:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Albert Chin wrote:

> > > So we conditionalize all this so it only activates on Windows.
> >
> > There is a fundamental flaw with this logic.  Sorry to dissapoint you,
> > but most open source software using libtool does not originate from
> > the Windows environment. :-)
> >
> > If you rely on a feature which only takes effect under Windows, then
> > packages will neglect to enable or test that feature, resulting in
> > packages which do not build properly (or misbehave) under Windows.
>
> Doesn't this conflict with the libtool option -no-undefined:
>  - Macro: AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
>      This macro should be used if the package has been ported to build
>      clean dlls on win32 platforms.  Usually this means that any

Due to `auto-import' enhancements in the version of binutils used by
Cygwin and MinGW, I believe that using this macro is no longer
necessary.  Packages which have been enhanced (or compromised,
depending on point of view) by being decorated with
dllexport/dllimport annotations may still benefit from use of the
macro.

Unix-derived packages which do not use AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL and do not
incorporate dllexport/dllimport annotations are capable of building
DLLs by incorporating recent libtool.

> It seems that CYGWIN needs -no-undefined but this might be problematic
> on other unices.

It is true that Cygwin/MinGW need -no-undefined in order to build
DLLs.  I have not encountered a problem with specifying -no-undefined
under various unixes.  Indeed, I believe that this issue isn't Windows
specific because IBM's AIX also requires -no-undefined.

In order to ensure that the maximum number of packages will compile
under Windows, the auto* tools should automatically incorporate any
tests/features required for packages to build under Windows without
their authors taking specific action to make this possible.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden