Re: linking static library against dynamic library (Cygwin & libtool)

From: Charles Wilson
Subject: Re: linking static library against dynamic library (Cygwin & libtool)
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 23:15:32 -0500

Laurent Marzullo wrote:

*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive /cygdrive/d/Workspace/CDK/dev/cdk-db/target/lib/libcdk-db-c.la.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

Does it possible to link them or not (on cygwin platform) ?

Possible? Sure -- but it still wouldn't be a good idea, and you can't use libtool to do it. See the very next thread on this mailing list: "Re: self contained library" and read the comments. Plus, there was a discussion of this very issue last week on the libtool list, as well.

if yes how to do it ?

by hand, without using libtool.  But, it won't be portable.

--Chuck