linking binary with a few static libs on AIX

From: Eric Haszlakiewicz
Subject: linking binary with a few static libs on AIX
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:28:03 -0600

I'm using libtool-1.5 to try to build stuff on AIX.  I'm running into a
problem with
the -static option to link mode:

I'm trying to build bzip2.  It builds a libbz2 and a bzip2 binary.
Before installing, it
tries to test the bzip2 binary.  Normally, this would work, but the
-static flag isn't
handling the library correctly.  I get a compile line that looks
something like this:
/path/to/gcc <flags> -o bzip2 -lbz2 <more flags>
Since libbz2 is a dynamic library, it gets linked dynamically, even
through the libtool
line looks like this:
libtool --mode=link <cflags, ldflags, etc...> -static -o bzip2 bzip2.o
libbz2.la
If I type in the final compile line by hand and add -bstatic, then it
works:
/path/to/gcc <flags> -o bzip2 -Wl,-bstatic -lbz2 -Wl,-bshared <more
flags>

That results in libbz2 being linked in statically, but libc still being
dynamic.

Is there an easy way to get libtool to do this automatically?

eric