Re: C linkage problem when C++ library is used.

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: C linkage problem when C++ library is used.
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:00:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Braden McDaniel wrote:

> > Shouldn't the developer be responsible for using the C++ compiler
> > rather than the C compiler? Why should libtool solve this? Without
> > libtool, the developer should be using the C++ compiler to link
> > anyway.
>
> Perhaps this is an automake problem? That is, I don't think it uses
> CXXLINK--or even generates the variable--in the Makefile.in if it only
> sees C sources in the Makefile.am. Perhaps there needs to be some way to
> tell automake, "use the C++ linker for this."

If the library is built outside of the current Makefile.am, Automake
will have no knowledge of if C++ is involved.  The library may be
delivered with the system.  However, if that C++ library was built
using libtool, then libtool *does* know that C++ was used and can
record that fact in the .la file for later use.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden