Re: postdeps empty on OpenBSD

From: Jacob Meuser
Subject: Re: postdeps empty on OpenBSD
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 04:38:09 -0700

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 10:45:40PM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hi Thorsten,
>
> * Thorsten Glaser wrote on Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 10:05:53PM CEST:
> > Olly Betts dixit:
> > >
> > >It looks like the problem is that "g++ -shared" doesn't link to libstdc++.
> >
> > gcc -shared creates a shared library.
> >
> > On OpenBSD, shared libraries do not link against other shared libraries.
> > The main programme must link against all these.
>
> OK, but this is exactly one thing libtool was designed to do for you:
> keep track of the libraries you also have to link against; it should
> have added -lstdc++ to _xapian.la's dependency_libs.

IIRC, the problem was that we ended up with multiple "-lstdc++"s
in the actual link commands which caused errors.  The dups happen
because libtool checks to see what the linker will add, and then
explicitly adds that stuff, while the linker is still adding stuff
implicitly.

I believe this issue was discussed on this list actually, in the
context of a different OS.

And changing output_verbose_link_command won't fix Olly's problem
anyway, because as Olly has shown, -lstdc++ doesn't get added by the
linker when -shared is used.

--
<address@hidden>