Re: Help: 64 Bit Solaris 10

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Help: 64 Bit Solaris 10
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 11:23:41 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Edward Maros wrote:

Libtool is most often configured as part of a package and a custom libtool script is "dynamicly created" based on supplied configuration options. How would you like it to behave differently?

Maybe I have the wrong model. What I have done is to compile libtool for Solaris for all the developers to use. It is installed using the same prefix as GCC. When I then use it as part of a software package, I simply use the AM_PROG_LIBTOOL macro in my configure.in file. When I did this, I got rules appropriate for 32-bit compilation even though I configured my package to include -m64 in the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS.

Ahhh. I see. The problem is that most of libtool is generated via a rather lengthy portion of the configure script. In fact, the bulk of the configure script for most packages which use libtool is due to libtool. It is a very involved process. The build tool behavior could be quite different due to options so it is not feasable for libtool to figure things out on the fly.

One thing you can do is configure libtool using --program-prefix, --program-suffix, or --program-transform-name, to install it using a special name.

So you could configure a 32-bit version using

  ./configure --program-suffix=-GCC-32

and the 64-bit version using

  ./configure --program-suffix=-GCC-64

This would result in parallel-installed libtool-GCC-32 and libtool-GCC-64. Users would need to select the libtool to use based on the compilation requirement.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn